Report module for PhreedomERP

Suggestions for new features

Report module for PhreedomERP

Postby alvin » Tue May 29, 2012 1:38 pm

Hello Peter,

I read your post below... I really like the way you have reportico structured, I would like to have reportico as a module for PhreedomERP. Is this something that you could find some time to help with? I may be able to scrape up some dev money... Here is a little info about doing this: http://www.phreesoft.com/?page_id=493

When you do implement more user control I think you should keep it modular...
peterdeed wrote:I suppose there are two aspects to user management ..

Firstly controlling who can design/access reports in what projects is not implemented and is I think necessary. Reportico at the moment doesnt rely on any tables for its own operation,and thats why it probably hasnt been implemented. It is envisaged in medium term (not sure when this is) that you will be able to populate user menu tables in your database in a structure which reportico will read and, based on a passed in user code, can generate the correct menus and access control.

In the shorter term, next 2 or 3 months want to generate prettier and hierarchical menus rather than the simple page that is there at the moment. Although people can always generate there own menus to open up reportico reports within their website.

The second aspect is the need to control what data a user can see based on their user id. This is there currently in a very simple fashion if you already have a user authentication system in your web pages such as in a web framework like Yii or Joomla. You can embed reportico in your web pages and pass a username to it as an "external parameter" and then use this in you SQL queries. So for example you can do this :-

Code: Select all

$q = new reportico();
    $q->external_param1 = "CURRENTWEBUSER";
    $q->execute($q->get_execute_mode(), true);

then you can write some SQL like this

Code: Select all
SELECT x, y
FROM z
WHERE username = {EXTERNAL_PARAM1}

There are 3 external parameter. Im explaining this because its not documented and may be of use to others.

Hope thats useful
Peter
Alvin
alvin

Re: Report module for PhreedomERP

Postby peterdeed » Tue May 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi alvin

I had a bit of time on my hands so I downloaded phreedom because I fancied a challenge. I played around with it for a couple of hours, enough time to prove I was able to embed reportico within it. However Im not sure if i was doing this the correct way .. I couldnt find much in the way of instructions on writing a module from scratch.. i just copied an existing module

.. I think to get the basic reportico app embedded from a drop down menu would not take long but I guess if you were serious you might want a fancier report menu or perhaps tabs which open up different report projects .. I think you might want to think how you would want it embedded in phreedom.

I can send you screenshots of what I already did if you like.

Obviously a bit of dev money would be gladly appreciated if you wanted me to do have a go at this, or to get you or someone started :-).

anyway just to say id be happy to help with this as Id love to get it into other frameworks.

Take your point about users, not sure how long before that kind of stuff gets looked at.
Peter
peterdeed

Postby alvin » Wed May 30, 2012 1:14 pm

I am not to hip on fancy but it would be good to follow some of the stranded color and layout for the default theme, maybe with some css. As mentioned above, we would need user control, (1.no access, 2.run reports, 3.admin) there must be a class somewhere that does this... Maybe a tab (Reportico) under menu tab "Tools",

I would like to see an import/export feature for the xml files, users will be sharing reports. I would like to have the module pre loaded with projects and reports (this will take me some time to do), as not all users understand sql. A good set of drill down financials would give us a lot of users...

We would need to make it so the report engine can be updated with new releases...

Any technical questions can be directed at Dave, the Phreesoft.com founder, I am getting more info on module development now.

More later,
Alvin
alvin

Postby peterdeed » Wed May 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi

From what I saw I think the no access, running reports, admin permissions would be not difficult...

Perhaps the reports you design could be split into different categories, where each category could be a reportico project ... then each project could be a tab in phreedom with its own menu .. each project menu could be improved by using a hierarchical dropdown menu perhaps...

I think the drill could be ok but each drill down would probably open up a new browser tab at the moment, so probably need to think how that would/should work

Peter
peterdeed

Postby alvin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:37 pm

From what I saw I think the no access, running reports, admin permissions would be not difficult...
This would be a good start, then we could offer the module for download. It would need to install like other modules...

Perhaps the reports you design could be split into different categories, where each category could be a reportico project ... then each project could be a tab in phreedom with its own menu .. each project menu could be improved by using a hierarchical dropdown menu perhaps...
That is exactly what I was thinking... You could look at how they show the reports they have now ../index.php?module=phreeform&page=main and do something similar. We would need to change a few things... Reportico would use the db config stored in pb (phreebooks) there would be no Project parameters to configure, only just a name...

I think the drill could be ok but each drill down would probably open up a new browser tab at the moment, so probably need to think how that would/should work
I thought I would wait on this. I read somewhere that your next release will make drill down easier...

I am still waiting to hear back from Dave about module structure... But if we don't spend to much time just getting it integrated into user permissions so so we can make the first release... It would be a good start.
Alvin
alvin

Postby alvin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:53 am

I finally heard back from Dave, Here is what he has to say when I ask about the module structure for the new up coming release 4.0...
The structure will change dramatically. It's a modified model-view-controller with most of the work done in the controller. Customization will be much cleaner than the current design and more page action will happen with ajax. The processing load will be much lighter and I'm trying to reduce the number of tables. It will be easier to add new inventory types, contact types and reduce the number of translation lines. It will also be more
HTML5 compliant.

I like to think of it as 'describing' the page, applying customization and using a standard library to 'render' the page. Templates are much simpler and fewer. For example, for any of the manager summary pages, there is no template file, one common db query function and the ability to alter not only the order of the headings but the ability to add or delete columns and change the widths to the users preference. Searching, paging and sorting are all handled through ajax. History will be remembered in session variables so re-visiting the page after an operation will retain the current filter settings.

Additionally, programming interfaces to outside applications will be more standardized and faster to develop.

Dave

So until we get a look at the new code we will have to wait,

But for now I would like to embed the project menu on a page in the system... the menu would be available to who ever is logged in to the system, the report would open in a new browser tab or popup.

I think it would be the best to make a dashboard module for the project menu. There is some info here: http://www.phreesoft.com/?page_id=530 you can find sample code in most of the folders in the modules directory.

Please let me know what you think?
Alvin
alvin

Postby peterdeed » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi alvin

ok well as i managed to get most of reportico embedded under the phreedom menus ill try and get it fully working like that and then see if i can get it working in a popup. Then ill send it to you it as a module .. what ive already done does seem to install as a phreedom module using the normal mechanism. Im hoping that this will not require any changes to the core reportico software asit hasnt so far.

Im going on holiday next week so ill try to get you this before monday. then you can see what you think.

Peter
peterdeed

Postby dmitchler » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi Peter,

I am also interested in using Reportico with Phreedom. Would you be willing to share the module you created to embed Reportico within Phreedom?

... Dennis
dmitchler

Postby peterdeed » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi Dennis

Ive updated the module with the latest version of reportico....

if you down load it here
http://www.reportico.org/phreedomreports4.zip

unpack it to your phreedom modules directory and then install it.

To use report designer you need an admin password . this is phreedom

You may be able to use the report design options from within the admin tab in phreedom, however you can always use it without going thru phreedom..
ust point your browser at http://host.ip/phreedom_install_dir/mod ... /reportico

It doesnt come with any reports except a simple vendor list .. you would have to write those.

This was written very quickly so it may have problems so let me know if you find any or need any help getting started using it

Peter
peterdeed

Postby alvin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi Peter,

I got this from the phreedom forum:
I tried the embeded version of Reportico for Phreedom (with R35RC3), and after installation, I got a fatal php error:
PHP Fatal error: Language pack for mode languages, language en_gb not found in /modules/reportico/classes/reportico/swutil.php on line 798
The error comes up after at the screen Reportico Module that has the 3 tabs: admin, Finance Reports and Stock Reports

What do you think?
Alvin
alvin

Next

Return to New Functionality